Saturday, June 21, 2014

Benedict Cumberbatch as Chris Barker - Hay Festival



Don't underestimate the power of your words to influence another, particularly someone you love.
Here are lovely lines from Benedict Cumberbatch's readings at the 2014 Hay Festival, as he read letters written by WWII soldier Chris Barker to his future wife, Bessie Moore (represented by Louise Brealey during the performances at Hay.)

Part I:
"I must be with you. I must warm you, surround you, love you and be kind to you."
"How good for us to see each other before I am completely bald!" 
Part II:

"I  hope that everything will work itself out without any unhappiness to anyone."

Part III:

"All I did was concentrate on trying to tell you I was all right." 

"I was always wondering about you - about us."

"Won't it be wonderful to be together - really together in the flesh. Not just to know that a letter is all we can send. I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment